Sunday, March 26, 2006

eternal optimism of the spotless cat...

My post from earlier today was a little down - and I'm still in mourning for my lost spring break.

But my cats (or "quats" as they prefer to be called) - Furball 1 and Furball 2 - make me feel so much better (the Dutchman helps too). I know it sounds trite - they're fuzzy, cute, blah, blah - but here's the magic they worked on my psyche in the kitchen just now:

*No matter* what we are doing in the kitchen and no matter how deep their kitty-coma is at the moment - the second the fridge opens, the Furballs appear (like sharks to chum in the water - dorsal fins waving high...). And it's not only when they hear the cellophane bag that the deli meat comes in (either their favorite turkey - or ham, their other white meat) that they come a-runnin' - it's every time - I could be getting ready to consume banana pudding, wasabi peas, filet mignon, Cheez Whiz...it's all a possibility to them.

Even when I show it to them up close and say "look - you wouldn't like an English muffin!" They sniff and look up at me like, "I'm willing to try anything once." The quats only get stuff from us about .5% of the time (that I know of - who knows what they do when the lights go off...). They both have kidney issues and we're keen to keep them healthy - but they're eternally optimistic that "today might be the day"! This trip to the fridge might produce a side of bacon rather than strawberry Jello!

And I know why they're like this....they don't have Ph.D.s - it's like that pre-lapsarian innocence in the garden of Eden. Before the weird fruit cravings.

Before that obnoxious hissing of "job market"..."tenure case"...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Anonymous morganlf said...

My cat loves cantaloupe. We had friends over to watch a movie and I cut up some cantaloupe and put it in a bowl on our coffee table. Within 5 minutes he had smelled it out, hopped onto the table (which he never dares to perch on) and was devouring everyone's snacks! So weird...

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Cats like the weirdest things - and cantaloupe is right up there! BTW, I'm very impressed with the whole "cantaloupe/movie" combination - it's healthy and fresh - unlike Tostitos.

One of my mom's cats loved to eat eggs any way: raw, fried, scrambled, florentine, etc.

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes life lets you down and you need a . I dont recomend this. I would recomend learning to manage your money a little better. There are a lot of great sites on how to manage your money. If you need some money right now and you dont have a choice visit.. http://cashadvance444.com/ ..

Waste your money and your only out the money but waste your time and you waste a part of your life...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home