Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Wednesday Evening musings...

A Couple of Things:

1) Links to information and really insightful discussion about the Duke lacrosse rape case - Ancrene Wiseass and New Kid. I saw a *blurb* about it on CNN today - everyone's emphasizing alleged (which it technically still is), but I haven't heard a lot about race from the mainstream new media. Hmmmm....

2) I must gleefully report that I was accepted to the conference panel that I applied to and didn't think I had a prayer of getting onto! It is at the BIG HONKIN' conference for my general field and it's one of the panels in my particular field and it's on one of the major general aspects of my book project and it's being organized by a major scholar in my field, whose work I really admire and who absolutely has no idea whatsoever that I exist - until she accepted me to her panel!!! Whew! So, it's basically me and three big-wigs (including another mucho famous presider). I hope their brilliance and their penchant for successful publication and careers rubs off on me by osmosis...

I was so happy when I got the news - I did a dance of joy in my office (with moves including, but not limited to, the Cabbage Patch, the Running Man, the Roger Rabbitt...) - no one saw but the furballs, who weren't impressed. BTW, I realize that I just totally revealed my own "decade" didn't I? Late 80s early 90s...I never thought about how your dance moves act like tree rings - they reveal your age!! I'm not the Mashed Potato, but I'm definitely not.....whatever stuff they started doing in the late 90s...

4 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Laustic said...

Congrats on the paper acceptance!
Did you also do the shopping cart? A few steps from the Electric Slide perhaps?

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

thanks! What does the "shopping cart" look like?? :) Electric slide is too fancy for me...

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous morganlf said...

Ohhh...I remember the roger rabbitt well. I also remember the one where you grab you foot, put your hand to your head and gyrate ever so slightly...but that's not a very good description at all. Perhaps I'll stage a "dances of my youth" at K'zoo right after they play the polka.

Congrats about the conference though!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

Congrats!

And thanks for the link, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home