Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Adventures in the DMV...

I'm finally crawling out of my self-imposed exile (which means planning classes and trying to catch up on sleep - classes are getting planned, but I can't seem to find this thing called "sleep" anywhere) to post on my blog!

But, for the past two mornings SOLID I have been at the local Dept. of Motor Vehicles trying to get a driver's license for this state so that we can register the new car (which will be picked up on Saturday) in this state. Yesterday, I found out only after an hour of waiting (not counting travel time - the nearest DMV is pretty far away!) that I didn't have the proper documentation. Come back tomorrow. Fine.

So, bright and early I get up and head there today. Before I even get there, though, I get pulled over by a cop and get a ticket for $114 for turning right on red where I wasn't supposed to - ugh! I was getting off the highway and turning onto the road, I saw that no one was coming and started to turn right, but then saw the miniscule little sign that said "No Turn On Red" (this is not a statewide law, it depends on the intersection). But, I was literally in the middle of the intersection when I saw it, so I just continued going through (saying to myself, "oops! oops! Sorry, I didn't see that!! - isn't it weird how we apologize for doing stupid things when no one else is in the car??). So, half a mile later this dude pulls me over and says that he's stopping me for that - I 'fessed up, said a pretty damn convincing mea culpa, and said I wasn't from this town, wasn't familiar with the intersection, didn't see the sign until too late, blah, blah, blah - and the guy wouldn't even let me off with a warning. I thought that was crappy.

Then the DMV - 2 hours there. It's actually a totally interesting sociological expirement - you get to see EVERYONE from EVERYWHERE and it's cool sort of. There are some strange people in this world (they're probably saying the same thing about me...). Here are some who were there today:

1) A lady with no pants on. She just had a long t-shirt. Apparently she came in with a coat, but took it off once she was there - and she kept bending over to pick up one of her kids!

2) A guy who looked as though he was wearing an entire American flag - he was wearing those very blousy (thin) cotton "muscle" pants (that's the only way I know how to describe them) but they were a huge stars and stripes pattern. And then the t-shirt had a huge flag across the chest and an eagle or a wolf or some "free" and "mighty" animal on it. The hat was also emblazoned with a flag. Now, I'm an American and I think we have a nice flag - bold colors, nice simple shapes (stars; stripes) - but DEAR GOD! This was too much - it was like someone had dipped him in testosterone and patriotism this morning.

"Flagman" was with the "lady with no pants on" - also, he was not wearing any underwear and I won't go into how I know this for a fact - yeesh!

There were many other colorful characters there, but most were just average Joes like me biding time, waiting for them to call our number (mine was "B4039"). It cost me $117 to get my new license (not counting the $114 craptastic ticket) and I made it back into town 10 minutes before my class - I ended up teaching in my huge (and, as it happens, bright red) grad school sweatshirt and yoga pants.

Basically I looked like a very well-informed tomato...

In other, tidbit medieval news:

Terry Jones (one of the Monty Python boys) is giving a couple of lectures at Pace University in NYC! Here's the info from their press release if anyone's interested and in the area: Terry Jones lecture - it reminded me of the post made by Dr. Virago a while back...

4 Comments:

At 2:39 AM, Anonymous morganlf said...

woah. that ticket sucks! I have to applaud your usage of craptastic. It's one of my favorite new words. :-)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Carrie K said...

That was a year ago! The lecture. Not that I could go in any event. But still.

I've never, ever been able to talk my way out of a ticket and I'm a cop's kid! Talk about unfair.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Was it really? I just got an e-mail from the Early Book Society Digest on it...Oh shoot, the link I posted was out of date!! Here's the cut and pasted section of the e-mail - even though you won't be able to go!:

Terry Jones, Artist-in-Residence,

Schimmel Theater, Pace University

Spring 2006


Wednesday, April 26
Terry Jones speaks on Medieval Lives
Schimmel Theater, 1:30-3:15
Pace University, Spruce St entrance

Terry Jones' Medieval Lives is a documentary series written and hosted by former-Python Terry Jones and originally aired by the BBC. From the series came a book of the same name which is amusing reading and very informative. Jones includes some refreshing insights into the Middle Ages and pokes holes into some received historical notions. Sponsored by Honors and the Women's and Gender Studies Programs, Pace University.


Thursday, April 27, Centennial Lecture
Terry Jones speaks on Barbarians!
Schimmel Theater, 2:30-3:30
Schimmel Lobby, 3:45-5, book signing

Pace University, Spruce St entrance


Barbarians! is the latest documentary (with a funny and informative book) written and hosted by Terry Jones, including new insights into just who and what were considered barbarous in the Middle Ages. This lecture is part of the public celebration of Pace University's Centennial.

Both lectures are illustrated with reproductions of medieval manuscript illuminations, documents, sculpture, architecture, paintings and photographs of medieval sites.

Pace University is located on the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge,
across the street from City Hall, and is readily accessible by subway and bus. Further directions are available at
http://appserv.pace.edu/execute/page.cfm?doc_id=16157

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

I just corrected that link! Thanks for pointing it out - I must learn to check dates...on food especially.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever just been given a warning for a ticket - but that was usually b/c they nabbed me on radar...I'm glad I'm not the only one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home