Sunday, April 02, 2006

Weekend Tidbits








I'm in the middle of the calm before the Monday storm - I've got just a few nuggets before I try to get ahead on the HEL(L) preparation for Tuesday:

1) In honor of spring (and overlooking the loss of that hour!) I'm attaching a couple of pictures we took at the famous Keukenhof Gardens in Holland a couple of years ago - they're probably best know for their zillions of tulip fields, but my favorites were the landscapes like those above that incorporated other flowers. Also, there is a pic of my feet in really really big wooden shoes.

2) I'm teaching the Wife of Bath tomorrow for the umpteenth time and I usually find one or two new ways to look at the prologue and the tale every time I read them - however, these little bits of insight aren't as plentiful as they once were. But the cool thing is that for 98% of my students, the Wife of Bath is totally new to them. I've got a student who's doing discussion leads for tomorrow's class (they all have to do it once a semester - 5 minutes of points, questions, etc. to get the discussion ball rolling) and she e-mailed me what she called "the coolest line of Middle English ever" - it was the "who painted the lion?" line from the Wife. She was like, "Professor - don't you think this is a neat way of putting it? I mean, it's all about perspective! Etc, etc, etc..." It's like a big Vitamin-B shot in the arm to hear how excited they get about some of these texts. For me, they're still great to read and discuss, but for them it's all NEW! It reinvigorates me...

3) Does anyone get really tired around the change of seasons? It's getting springy here and the past week or so I've been so exhausted! It's not like I've been doing much of anything, but I could take a nice long nap everyday...

Yawn! Not much too report - aside from the bike thieves it was a pretty calm weekend...

2 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Laustic said...

I always get sleepy this time of the year, too! Poppies...

And I'm sorry to hear about the Dutchman's bike. That's really awful. To leave behind a rusty, ol' bike in its place just adds insult to injury. The nerve!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

I know! Little urchins...the sad thing is that the Dutchman went walking around campus and the neighborhood looking for his bike today. He's so sweet and upset - still holding out hope that the police will recover it.

I'm glad I'm not the only somnolent one! It's funny that you mention poppies b/c I feel a little like Dorothy when she craters in the field of Oz-mic opiates! (too much alliteration perhaps...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home