Friday, May 19, 2006

Tales (almost) from the Road

Just checking in from "Blogging Siberia"...we made it back from the delightful country north of the US late last night - a loooooooong drive with an interesting stop at the Canadian border on the way out. We decided to submit all our paperwork for work permits, etc. this trip so that when we have 2 yowling furballs in the car on our official move in July, it'll cut down on the time. We came into the Immigration area with a stack of paperwork that could choke a Brontosaurus and we didn't need really any of it. Although we certainly offered it! We gave the guy our application and a fair amount of Canadian dollars and he started working up our permits. At a certain point, he'd just kind of catch our attention across the room where we were sitting and just "mime" the questions to us: "(pointing at his ring finger) Are you guys married?" - we both stood in unison, clicked our heels together and said "Yes! Do you need documentation? Marriage certificate? Birth certificate?....." The guy would just wave us back down and say "nah...." It was great - now we have work permits for 2 years...

So, some of our bullet-point observations from the road are:
1) It's a long drive across northern NY
2) Our new city is fantastic - nice people, cool bars and restaurants, people bike around everywhere, they're big on recycling...
3) The nicest man ever born works in a Canadian McDonald's - we stopped there for my habitual vat o' Diet Coke while we were looking for apts. and the man at window #2 (where we get the goods) was so cheerful: "Have a great day! Come back and see us! Oh, I see your car is from (unnamed New England State)! Are ya movin' here? Welcome! I know you'll love it! My fourth grandchild was born yesterday! It's a great place to live!....."
4) We rented a great 2-bedroom in the bottom floor of a house owned by one of the Dutchman's new colleagues who lives with her family next door.
5) The Dutchman's new cohort are all wonderful people - they were very welcoming to me and that was lovely
6) Canadian grocery stores sell Claussen's dill pickles - this means my potato salad will CONTINUE to be the best in the world...

All in all, I think it's going to be a great year - I just have to create a game plan for work (especially in my free semester) - I'm happy that my summer reading list (still to be posted - my apologies) will actually be my summer and fall reading list.

However, when we got back I realized that, apparently, the exams and papers that I had left to grade got together, threw a wild party, and started reproducing like bunnies. I'm completely sure that there are more here than before. They're kind of like those fuzzy tribble thingys on the original Star Trek...

So, I have 2 days to finish all my grading (including the spurious new ones), pack up my campus office so they can renovate the building, and clean the apartment before both of our families descend early next week for graduation.

Posting over the next week could be sporadic OR it could be constant because it will be my only outlet of sanity! My mom, my dad (parents amicably divorced 23 years ago), my dad's girlfriend (who is very prissy and awkward), the Dutchman's dad and brother (who are tons of fun)...stay tuned!!

2 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger La Lecturess said...

Congrats! Sounds like a great trip.

Oh, and if you're going to be living in the city that I'm hoping you might be living in, it's not too far from where I'm moving--maybe I'll email you at some point and see...

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

That sounds lovely! Please do e-mail to check...I'll give you a hint - it begins with an "L"...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home