Thursday, June 01, 2006

Countdown to Paradise

We leave for St. Croix in 5 days and because I'm so excited about having a true vacay, I've just taken stock of all our sunblock. We have a selection of SPFs from 45 to 4, but I'm missing 15, dammit. I prefer to start high and work my way down in increments during the trip, and SPF 15 is a critical part of that pyramid. My skin is the color of vanilla yogurt right now, but I want to come back with "Aztec Goddess" skin. I know, I know! I shouldn't want a tan....it's bad for my skin....but I do....(sob!) - I'll probably come back looking like a pink marshmallow Peep. But I'll be a happy pink Peep - thoroughly soaked in pina coladas and Hawaiian Tropic cucumber melon aloe vera goop.

In other inane "prepping for paradise" news, I got my new swim suit (which I ordered online from Lands End in the color "clear blue") and it looks really, really good on me - I don't look at all as skinny as the model in the picture (does anyone?), but it's flattering nonetheless. The Dutchman said I looked gorgeous in it...and it provides full ass-coverage, which I'm all for.

With the craziness of finishing the semester, grading, going North to look for a new place, and graduation fast on its heels, I have yet to get a true start on my reading list (although I have skimmed around the edges just a bit). But I've also decided not to bring any work with me to paradise - what say you to this decision? If my old advisor and medieval scholar template was reading this, I fear she would just sniff in disappointment. Actually, she'd probably tell me to go have a drink and enjoy my honeymoon!

But, when I get back, I will begin in earnest, reading A.J. Minnis in between packing boxes of books!

BTW, the new Boydell & Brewer catalogue just came in and these are just some of the forthcoming books that look cool:

Literary Landscapes and the Idea of England, 700-1400 - Catherine A. M. Clarke

Malory's Contemporary Audience: The Social Reading of Romance in Late Medieval England - Thomas H. Crofts

The Oldest Anglo-Norman Prose Brut Chronicle - Edited by Julia Marvin


5 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger KLee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger KLee said...

Oooh, St. Croix! I'm jealous! (Not too much, though, since my own family is heading for Disney World this weekend as well!)

I had to drag my husband down there the first time, when Offspring was a mere babe-in-arms, and now he won't entertain the idea of going anywhere else!

I hope you have a great time, get a nice (though safe and noncarcinogenic) tan, and drink a scrummy Pina Colada for me! :)

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger HeoCwaeth said...

I'm jealous! Have fun!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Carrie K said...

Have a fabulous time! I'll second klee's wish your you to get a nice (safe & noncarinogenic) tan, but I think I'd like a tequila sunrise.

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous morganlf said...

have an awesome time!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home