Thursday, June 15, 2006

Postcards from the Edge of Paradise where Medieval Woman Ate a Cheeseburger...










Does that make sense at all? How many cheesy pop culture references are in that title? My brain is still addled with rum...these are just a few of the pictures from our week in St. Croix - we had an amazing time!! The Dutchman had to drag me kicking and screaming onto the plane to get me to leave (this might have been compounded by the fact that it was a little prop plane - Medieval Woman doesn't fly well). Finally, he tossed a couple of Twinkies onto the steps of the plane and I followed them up just like E.T. and his Reese's Pieces (you remember that scene, yeah?). So, once I found myself on the plane and being strapped in by the Dutchman (try though I did to liberate myself and get back to our favorite snorkeling hole...), we had the most brutally awfully scary flight (from St. Croix to San Juan) I've ever had in all my long years of reluctant yet frequent flying. I thought we'd bought the farm on that one. The weather was touchy (thanks Alberto!) for the first time since we'd been there and it was like riding an out of control bull - except it was thousands of feet in the air!! And the woman said no beverage service b/c it wasn't safe - I don't know about all of you, but beverage service on a plane calms me - it's not that they can bring you alcohol (I rarely order it on board b/c it's SO expensive) - but that they are bringing you anything. People in the know are up and walking around, so it can't be that bad.

At any rate, after landing in San Juan and preparing for our next, longer leg (but one that was in a nice comfy DC-10 - the Hummer of the sky), I needed some "courage" (and the Dutchman needed a Band-Aid for the nail marks on his hand) - so, I downed a couple of pina coladas and a beta blocker. By the time our flight was ready to leave, I looked much like a (nicely tanned) baby rhino who'd been darted and tagged for release into the wild. I spent most of that last flight semi-comatose and (apparently) drooling on the Dutchman.

But, wow! I really digress! The pictures above are as follows:
1 & 2) The view from the terrace of our room (not zoomed in! We were that close to our lovely beach!)
3) A picture of our beach from the little road in front of our building - that's me in the fantastically fun dilapidated Jeep we rented. You can't tell from the picture, but I'm grinding the gears at that moment trying to get the hang of it. We drove all over the island in it...
4 & 5) These are from our snorkeling trip to Buck Island, which is just off St. Croix. We spent the whole day there with a tour and then they fed us well on the beach. The water was crystal clear blue and warm - all kinds of cool wildlife. Sigh...

Bullet points from our trip:
- We ate SO well while we were there. Tons of mahi-mahi, wahoo, conch fritters, sea bass, fresh fruit...
- We drank SO well! They make their own rum on St. Croix (called Cruzan Rum - people from St. Croix are Cruzans or Crucians). They make a drink called a "Cruzan Confusion" with papaya, guava and other unknown juices. So refreshing, and if you ask them to make it "stateside", they won't put as much rum in and you won't be blitzed all day.
- We set up a migratory pattern while lazing around: pool, bar (for munchies/drinks), sea for snorkeling, pool, bar....we read tons of non-work books (btw, I recommend The Poe Shadow - by Matthew Pearl, who wrote The Dante Club - both good reads).
- We went into the rainforest one day and wound up at this little dive bar made out of palm fronds in the middle of nowhere - they had a beer drinking pig there. We drank beer, too.
- Adventures in snorkeling: this was the Dutchman's and my first time at this sport and we couldn't get enough of it! We saw sea turtles, beautiful coral reefs (one right of our hotel), we swam with a friendly stingray, AND we were stalked by a 5 foot barracuda. Seeing one in real life was not as cool as hearing the classic Heart song, I'll tell you ("oooooo, Barracuda!.....") - they were described to us as "fierce", "voracious", and "the wolves of the sea". They looked it. We had seen a few small ones (about a foot) and they were just curious. Then, we looked about 8-10 feet away and saw the Big Kahuna - it was just staring at us and sitting there. So, we swam away really fast. Then we couldn't see it anymore, but then it turned up on the other side of us. Never came closer, but just watched us. So, we (metaphorically) peed our pants and went to another part of the reef. Ugh! But exhilirating.

So, now we've returned to "real life" and we sat down last night over pizza and figured out how much we actually spent while we were there - OUCH!! But there were some unexpected expenses (airline problems/changes, etc.) and we had saved money for our honeymoon. That money is no more....

4 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Laustic said...

Your trip sounds idyllic. I'm aqua seafoam green with envy.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger KLee said...

It looks gorgeous! I'm also a nice shade of green with envy....

I'm sorry the flight was atrocious -- driving through two states with Alberto whisking the car around like a pesky fky was no fun, either. And, I was driving, so I couldn't enjoy the lovely Pina Colada treatment!

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Carrie K said...

Oh, fabulous. Well,not the barracuda and the flight. But the rest of it.

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous morganlf said...

wow, it sounds like you had a great time. If it makes you feel any better, I am NOT a good flyer at all...beta blockers are our friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home