Thursday, June 29, 2006

Revenge is a Hairball Best Served Cold

...and I know they're plotting something. We are now happily arrived at our new abode in our new country. We decided to make the entire 10 hour trip in one go rather than staying on the road. The cats were more stressed when we stopped for something - when we were driving, they meowed a couple of times (as if to say, "don't worry - we'll get you back for this later...") and then konked out. We stopped a couple of times for "box breaks" (don't ask how this occured within the confines of the car) and then made it here to our new place!

It's absolutely lovely here - unfortunately, our furniture hasn't arrived yet - it probably won't get here until after the long weekend, which means more sleeping on the blow-up mattress. But, it'll be here within a week.

In the meantime, I've purchased a couple of massive yucca plants to liven the place up a bit.

There are absolutely no adventures in border-crossing to report - why? Because it took us exactly 36 seconds to get across. This is with 2 potentially disease laden cats (I mean, they hadn't seen the documents to prove they're healthy - and they looked stoned!), 5 house plants, booze (within limits...just), cigars and cigarettes. We didn't even pull over to customs. The kid just asked us a few questions and then waved us through. I keep telling myself that the cats needed the $474 in shots, certificates, etc. even though I didn't have to have any of them in the end! When all is said and done, I'd rather it have been easy than hard.

So, we love it here - the weather is cooler, the city is great, the government agencies are nice (we've been registering for stuff for the past couple of days). We went to have a beer tonight at a great outdoor bar and got two troughs of Hoegaarden and some crab dip....nice.....

Tomorrow - IKEA!!!

A quick question before I go help the Dutchman fill up the air mattress some more - what's the longest any of you have waited to hear from a journal on an article submission? For this largish-non-subfield-specific journal, it's been almost 7 months. I asked them at around 3 1/2 and they said that they'd have the decision/readers' reports "any day"; then, just before we left I sent a polite, yet slightly tart e-mail asking what the deal was and saying that I wanted the option of sending the article in to another journal if the piece wasn't their cup of tea. I got another "mea pulpa" apology e-mail back from them saying that they would e-mail the readers and get back to me soon. Hmmmmm....I'm not sure about this. At this point, it's not so much about the decision, but the principle and I want to see the readers' reports! So many of them are eviscerating, but some are helpful.

Any thoughts? Should I just tell them to buzz off (in a non-bridge burning sort of way) and revise and resubmit to another journal on my own recognisances??

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Anonymous New Kid on the Hallway said...

Congrats on the move!

As for the journal article - I've heard that 6 months is actually a very average turnaround time, so it may be worth waiting a little while longer. Of course, it depends on the journal, too. My turnaround times have been three months and six months.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Tiruncula said...

What you might do if this is something you need to get placed for your own career purposes (which happened to me at one point with a really slow journal) is write - hard copy - very politely and say that since you are under time pressure yourself, you plan to submit the article elsewhere at [name a date - say the 8-month mark], if this journal hasn't given you a firm decision before then.

At one point, Michael Drout was collecting comments on his blog about journals that are fast and responsive; I've got some particular suggestions from my own and friends' experiences, depending on what area your paper's in, if you want to email me privately.

Glad Canada is treating you well, btw!

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Another Damned Medievalist said...

Yay, you're there! Boo, no furniture -- I hope it's there by now, and you're firmly entrenched in the hell that is unpacking. Not that I am, or anything!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home