Sunday, August 20, 2006

Basketball Diaries

So, the Dutchman (who is currently walking through the house singing "I'm Henry the 8th, I Am") is going to go play basketball with the "guys" from his department (including grad students and profs). Now, the Dutchman is tall, but he can't play b-ball for love nor money. He's got stamina, though, and he loves his new department and wants to make friends and engage in as many social activities as he can, so he stays for the whole game - even when his body is protesting as loudly as possible. He's going to go get dragged up and down the court (in the backyard of one of the profs) by a bunch of 22 year old grad students (who may be short - but they're fast!) and he'll come home looking beat up, but fairly happy.

I'm not going, because I have article revisions to do - and I think b-ball is boring (even though the wives will be there with the kids - this is a very gendered game, here. But the ladies play soccer!). I know he'll come back with something that requires bandages and strange bruises and mumbling under his breath, "I'm so out of shape..." But, for now, he's in the living room stretching and psyching himself up for the big game.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Hilaire said...

It's great that you guys are getting so well connected so quickly! Well done. Hope he has fun. Will you go and play soccer?

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Flavia said...

Aw, that's sweet!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger KLee said...

Woe to you if the Dutchman were to go all mediveal on his wife a la Henry VIII! The best you could hope for is that you'd be Anne of Cleves, and he'd just take an enormous dislike to you, or that you'd be Katharine Parr, and you'd outlive his cantankerous behind. Any of the other wives, and you're in trouble!

I hope when he comes home moaning and ailing, that you'll remind him that you're playing nursemaid Katherine Parr to his Henry. And, he won't be tempted to call for an axeman. :)

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Fortunately, he arrived home relatively unscathed - apparently he's getting "better"...

We are getting connected - we still haven't found people who are completely "us" - not carbon copies, but just those kind of people who you know you'll be friends with for years and would travel around the world to see. They might become that - it's too early to tell. But they are very nice and we get invited to lots of activities, so we're happy as 2 little clams at high tide! Unfortunately, I'm a total klutz and so I'm not good at sports where I have to use my feet with any kind of dexterity. But I'm a good sideline commentator! And KLee, that's good advice - I'll try to channel Katharine and not Anne of a 100 Days! :)

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger KLee said...

Poor Anne of Cleves got such a bad rap. Henry complained that she smelled, but he was a fat, gouty wife-killer. Oh, well -- power is attractive to some people. I think Anne was just glad she didn't have to go back to her family's spartan court in Cleves. So, she stayed in England as the Queen's Sister, and lived her life without anyone else butting in. AND she managed to avoid the axe!

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Wow, KLee! I'm coming to you for all my Henry VIII info from now on! I was actually thinking of Anne Boleyn (chop, chop...) - wasn't she the one they called Anne of 1000 Days? (and I accidentally put 100 in my last comment) - I'm thinking of that great Richard Burton/Genevieve Bujold movie...classic....

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger KLee said...

Yeah, I'm rather sad in my slavish devotion to the Tudor time period. (I took a heavy rotation of medieval lit in college...) I read everything I cen get hold of about Henry, any of his wives and Elizabeth I.

Anne Boleyn was called Anne of 1000 days, but not until much later. Her peers often called her a witch and a whore. She was called a witch because some accounts of the time suggest that she had a little protrusion on her left hand which people took as the vestiges of a sixth finger. Ergo, it was evidence of her evil nature, being on the "sinister" hand.

The common people called her "Nan Bullen, the Great Whore."

Yeah, I know. I'm very sad. :

 

Post a Comment

<< Home