Saturday, August 05, 2006

"I Will Not Be Judged!"

Shockingly, this post contains no medieval material of substance - but it's summer and it's hot and we're going to a BBQ Rib Festival today (oh yeah - we haven't eaten for hours in anticipation). And really, I feel that the Middle Ages is always part of my life in everything that I do (are you buying this?). Plus, I clean the house in my "beer wench" outfit - think of me as an edgier St. Paulie Girl....I mean Woman.....

The fact is, I am reading tons of articles, tinkering with my book argument, and preparing to revise an article/writing sample and send it out to another journal. Who knows how long all of this will take, but I've got plenty to keep me busy.

Which is why I've taken a bit of time off to think about this list. This emerges from a game that BF and I play called "I will not be judged!" We also play the "Favorites Game" (and it's close relative, the "Least Favorites Game") where the questions get pretty specific: "What is your favorite breakfast meat?" "What is your favorite creamy-based salad?" "What is your favorite alcoholic drink containing orange juice?" (not all of them revolve around food; but these are blog-family friendly examples!) Now, I've known BF for a decade and I still learn something I didn't know about her (like she hates hot meat and hot cheese together - no bacon cheeseburgers!). It's a fun thing to do over many drinks, preferably in an outdoor cafe, and you can really get to know people in fun ways. It's a nice ice breaker, too - BF will bust out with a "favorites" question and we see who bites - those who do will usually become fast friends.

But I digress - over pomegranate margs in NYC it was (after gossiping, talking about relationships, etc.) "I won't be judged" and thence comes this list:

10 Songs I Am NOT Ashamed To Love!
(in no particular order)

1) Hanson - "Mmm Bop"

2) Air Supply - "Making Love Out of Nothing At All"

3) Mr. Big - "To Be With You"

4) Metallica - "Enter Sandman"

5) REO Speedwagon - "Can't Fight this Feeling"

6) Boz Scaggs - "Heart of Mine"

7) Eric Carmen - "Make Me Lose Control"

8) Captain & Tennille - "Muskrat Love" (who wouldn't like a song where Muskrat Suzie and Muskrat Sam are nibblin' on bacon and chewin' on cheese? Hell, bacon and cheese is how the Dutchman and I keep our marriage a happy one!)

9) Garth Brooks - "Friends in Low Places" (always with beer)

10) Lee Greenwood - "Proud to Be an American" (okay, so I am a little embarrassed about this one. Even though most of its lyrics represent everything I hate about the phallic laser light show that's become America's foreign policy, this left-wing American rather sheepishly gets the chills every time she hears it!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home