Monday, August 14, 2006

Quote Meme - the saga continues...

Yay - I've been tagged! No, I don't mean that I've been stunned with a dart gun and had a little yellow thingy attached to my ear....although I'll check in the mirror in a minute to make sure. Pilgrim/Heretic has handed off the "Quote Meme" baton and, because I have just written 2 whole paragraphs on my article, I will joyously pick it up and run with it this afternoon.

So, here are the instructions per P/H: Go here and look through random quotes until you find 5 that you think reflect who you are or what you believe (I threw in a couple not on the website):

"OK, so you've got a Ph.D. Now, don't touch anything." - Anonymous

"Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh." - W.H. Auden


"Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace." - Buddha


"...there is nothing lost, that may be found, if sought." - Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene; Book V, Canto II

"Celebrate with barbaric obstreperousness, with bonfires and war cries and cannibal stares the indestructible cast iron certainty of what we fuse in the name of that wild endeavor, that ecstatic bellicose enterprise, love." - Tony Kushner, from "An Epithalamion" in Thinking About the Longstanding Problems of Virtue and Happiness

The last one is special because our dear friend, Little Feather, read this poem at our wedding. Now, I shall tag in turn - Flavia, Ancrene Wiseass, Blogenspiel, and KLee, I'd love to see what your favorite quotes are (as P/H suggested, I'll also make this an "open tag" to all out there).


Labels:

8 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Flavia said...

Hooray! A tag!

I'm packing today & traveling tomorrow, but I'll get to this within the week.

(Love the quote about not touching anything, btw. I try not to.)

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger molly said...

I've never encountered anything like this before, but since you said it's open to anyone out there - how terrific is this!

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

Yay! I got tagged!

I'll go see what I can find over there . . . .

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Welcome Molly - thanks for stopping by. I'll look forward to reading everyone's quotes....work avoidance!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Hey! I could have sworn I commented on this earlier... comment window must've crashed. Anyway - I LOVE the "barbaric obstreperousness"!

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Isn't that a great one, P/H? There's something else in the poem about loving passionately and, if that fails, "throw dishes"... :)

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Oh, that's even better. I'll have to track that down. (Or you could post the whole thing for a Poetry Friday...)

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Another Damned Medievalist said...

Just saw this -- posted!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home