Wednesday, September 13, 2006

And they're off!

Friday* the JIL opens - I can smell the excitement in the air like wood-smoke and brimstone. Everyone is speculating: "What kind of market will it be this year? Good for 18th century, bad for Modernism?" Everyone has told me that I shouldn't speak to a soul about the market this year - don't let people tell you who's out on the market vying for the same jobs as you...I know that all this is very good advice, but I don't think I've mastered the art of job-searching in a vacuum. But I'm really going to try because it will stress me out more to have to keep up with the Joneses.

I've been thinking about how much to blog about the process - certainly I wouldn't provide details of schools, etc. - but I think I might just blog about what interesting things happen - there might be one or two panic entries. But I realize the slight contradiction between attempting to do my job search without obsessively trying to compare it with the job searches of others and blogging about my job search. So, I think just general meditations - the kinds I'd like to hear from other people - and perhaps some updates, e.g. "There are a couple of opportunities that would be great for me and the Dutchman..." will suffice. Ultimately, I won't know 'til I get there!

In other news, I had my root canal yesterday morning, which is why I haven't been in blogging mode for a couple of days - it went well and only took an hour and a half. They called Monday night and said, "We know you're scheduled for the 25th, but how about tomorrow morning at 9:30 instead?" - I so wanted to postpone it, but I needed to go. Blech. It was good that I did because in the middle of it, I hear Dr. Tooth saying, "God, that's an angry nerve!" - apparently my molar was being truculent and pissy and was beginning to hang out a lot with the wrong kind of bacteria. Dr. Tooth said that I would have had to come in earlier than the 25th anyway, but I would have been in excruciating pain because this puppy wasn't going to last much longer in the tenuous cease-fire it had been for a couple of weeks. I just sat there feeling very satisfied and happy that the novacaine was working. It's sore today and probably will be for a couple of days...but that's why God made naproxen sodium.

When I came home, I felt like endulging myself by not doing any work on my job letter revision (see above!) and to be Ur-domestic goddess for the day. It's a twisted world we live in where laundry is preferable to doing work. But I made an awesome Beef Stew for dinner and we watched 4 episodes of Lost - and then the Design Tuesday line-up on HGTV.

So, that's about it! My job letter is in its 124th revision and still going, my writing sample is done, even if it doesn't get accepted to the journal, my K'zoo panel is almost completely filled (we're still waiting on some possible last minute abstracts that might change the make-up slightly), and I haven't even begun thinking about cutting down and polishing my big conference paper - because that isn't for several months! I must pace myself...how would it look if I got all my work done now?? Pretty bloody arrogant, that's how! :)

Holy cats! Flavia's abso-smurfly right! The JIL is up and running already - my father called to tell me (yes, he checks the job listings for me as well) and then I got Flavia's comments...*gasp!*...so.....early.....must....resist......yeah, right!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Hilaire said...

It is so interesting to hear you talk about the question of disclosing about the job search. I have made a commitment to myself this year that's very similar to yours...after feeling silly blabbing constantly about my job applications last year, I thought, don't talk about it with anyone. For me - in a smaller field and a smaller market than yours - it is not so much about keeping up with the joneses but about disappointing myself, if I talk something up and then it doesn't happen. But it's true that the blog - with its anonymity - does have a bit of a "use me to talk about the job search" siren song. I'll be interested to see how we both manage it...

Most of all, good luck!

And - I'm glad to hear the root canal was okay, and that you indulged yourself afterward!

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Flavia said...

If you're obsessive-compulsive like me, you know that the list actually always goes up before they say it does--usually just a day (i.e., on Thursday), but I think last year it was up Wednesday evening.

(And yes, I DID check the ADE site many times a day the entire week before the thing was scheduled to go live. It's unhealthy, but it's the way I am!)

And I'm glad to hear that your angry nerve and tooth have been dealt with appropriately!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Flavia said...

Hey, I just checked, and--it's up! Right now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home