Friday, September 29, 2006

Friday Recipe Blogging - Part One

I just got very thorough job letter revision suggestions from my dear friend who is very smart and exceedingly good at these things. (And have I seen her digital footprints on this blog? I think I might have! K, if that's you, lemme know and I'll come out of my blog-closet!) Her questions/comments are all dead-on and will ultimately enable me to fully convey the kick-assness of my project in 2 paragraphs (like little gold medieval bouillon cubes). But, I feel like I would rather chew on tin foil and shave my head with a cheese grater than do these revisions. Do you guys feel like that? When you get great comments from someone and you know that they're SO right but it will require a lot of conceptual tweakage and work and you just want it to be done? I know it's ridiculous to think that someone would say, "it's amazing and I wouldn't change anything except the left margin!" - but hope springs eternal and this is the whole point of having friends who are great and take the time to read things...

But - I really digress! S'okay - the green bean recipe I had promised is in Dutch (at least I think that the Dutch word for "beans" is "boontjes"!) - the Dutchman is gone all day giving a talk at another university, so when he gets home tonight I'll have him translate it for me and I'll post it (I can't find a decent online Dutch-English Dictionary). BUT, to whet your appetite, I offer a two-for-one Indonesian appetizer recipe that is highly yummy! These two things go together really well - one is rich and fried and the other is fresh. You can also make them separately...

Fried Corn Patties with Pickled Cucumbers

- 1 lb. frozen corn kernels (they're easier to grind when they're frozen!)
- 1 onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 tbs. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

1. Grind corn kernels coursely (this can be done with a mortar and pestle OR, I would imagine, in a blender or food processor)
2. Mix all the ingredients together except the oil.
3. Heat oil in a wok or frying pan
4. Scoop up the corn mixture with a spoon; slide the patty into the oil.
5. Deep-fry each side 1 1/2 minutes. Be sure to control the temperature of the oil - if it's too high then the inside of the patties won't cook well; if it's too low then the patties will absorb too much oil. You can test a few and see!
6. Serve with some red chili sauce (sambal) or soy sauce.

Makes 24 patties

Pickled Cukes

2 english cucumbers (or whatever kind you want)
2 shallots
1/2 cup water
2 tbs. white vinegar
1/2 tbs. sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Peel the cukes and shallots
2. Remove cucumber seeds and cut into sticks
3. Cut shallots into slices
4. Mix all the ingredients
5. Put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes - even better for a few hours.

I'm not usually one for vinegary things (unless it's a nice Claussen's kosher dill pickle), but these are a good palate refresher, especially if you're eating rich and spicy Indonesian food!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Anonymous morgan said...

K. and I make the cucumbers (timun in Indonesian) all the time! I'm totally making the fritters as a surprise for him!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home