Friday, September 15, 2006

Friday Recipe Blogging


I was watching The Terminator this afternoon and wishing that it was still the 80s - not because I want to be younger (or that I'm particularly keen on nuclear annihilation), but because - dammit - the music rocked and my hair used to feather really well. Looking at Linda Hamilton's hair-do in that movie just brings all the joy back (plus, she got to kiss Michael Biehn). This was before the late 80s when my bangs started using crack and became the size of Boise, Idaho.

So, this is why I'm late with today's recipe - blame it on my fetish for 80s action/sci-fi. There is nothing 80s about this recipe (although the Chinese place across from my highschool used to have really good fried rice), but it's awesome, easy, and 1000 times better than take-out. Cheaper too! This recipe is adapted from Kylie Kwong, who is cute as a button and has a cool show on the Food Network.

Pork Fried Rice
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup finely sliced green onions
- 2 tbsps light soy sauce (I use whatever Kikkoman we have in stock)
- 1 tbsp finely diced ginger (or you can shred it or use powdered ginger)
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 2 cups steamed rice (I use brown rice)
- extra soy sauce
- 1 1/3 cups finely chopped chinese cabbage (or savoy or green cabbage)
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat and cut into small strips

1. Place eggs in a bowl with green onions, 2 tbsps soy sauce and ginger and lightly beat with a fork to combine.
2. Cook pork strips in a little butter and oil in a separate pan until almost done - should be seared on the outside.
3. Stir fry chopped red onion in oil in a wok (or frying pan) - stir fry for 30 seconds.
4. Pour in egg mixture and leave to cook for 10 seconds before folding the mixture in on itself and lightly scramble until almost cooked through.
5. Add rice and extra soy sauce and stir fry for about 1 1/2 minutes, using a spatula to break the scrambled egg into smaller pieces.
6. Add the pork strips and cook a bit more to combine the flavor.
7. Finally, toss in the cabbage and stir fry a bit longer until well combined and rice is heated through.

This is really good for leftovers too! We'll eat it tonight and probably tomorrow as well...

Bonus Fortune from Medieval Woman!
"Tomorrow afternoon you will stub your left toe and win $20 at Bingo."

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Laustic said...

Do you think this recipe could be made without the pork? (I don't dig on swine, as it were.) Have you ever substituted other meats or additional veggies?

Also, I'm making your zucchini casserole tomorrow! We finally grew enough mini-zucchinis from our garden to fulfill the recipe requirements.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger molly said...

Really like the new background! I'm having serious background envy. The recipe is making me drool, as usual, and thanks for the fortune cookie fortune. The fortunes in today's fortune cookies really suck. They don't tell your fortune at all. How disappointing!
Oh, and talk about hair, my hair was outlawed in the 70's. Curly, frizzy, it was the bane of my existence for years. But now, I wear it long and wild. My hair is as big as the whole American (North and South) continent, but I love it. And it took years of therapy to get me to say that!

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Yes, Laustic, this recipe can definitely be made without pork - in fact, it was originally written that way. I would think that beef would work well (cut into strips and added in at the same point in the stir fry process) - maybe better than chicken. You could try tofu, though I never have. Or you could put in some thinly sliced broccoli and cauliflower florets - it's not authentic Chinese, I guess, but I've always liked them in stir fry.

Also - you really only need 2 cups of rice for this dish (I think I'll change that on the post). Hope you like the zucchini casserole!!

Glad you liked the fortune, Molly - I totally agree about the sad state of today's fortune cookie fortunes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home