Monday, September 25, 2006

Random Monday Morning Bits...

First off, thank you for all the wonderful suggestions for my class next semester - if anyone is interested, I'll e-mail you the syllabus as soon as it's finished - I think it's going to be very cool.

I got the rest of my root canal done today - I still have to go in for the temp and permanent crowns, but the hard nasty part is over. I have a serious crush on my dentist and, actually, his entire staff. It's just a really class act operation. AND with our new zip-zop dental insurance, this entire process, which would have cost us about $2000 (including crowns, etc.) will end up costing us $200. In the meantime, my tongue is still numb and I'm slurring my words so I think I'll hold off on going up to campus lest I get tagged as the "crazy chick who drinks scotch at lunch." It feels like I've got a tongue the size of a chevy.

My K'zoo panel is all nicely set up - I think it'll be a good one. Still waiting to hear from the journal on my revise and resubmit - hopefully more on that in a month or so.

We went to a fall party for the Dutchman's department last week and met the coolest people - it's a married couple around our age; no kids yet and tons of fun. I left thinking, "they could become good friends of ours!" - and lo and behold, they e-mailed us the next day with their contact info and an offer to show us around the town! We felt like we got asked to the prom!!

I've begun realizing that there's a certain threshold crossed when you have kids - most of the younger profs in his dept. are only 5 or so years older than us, but they all have kids - mostly newborns - or are expecting kids. They own houses, etc. They're still great and we really like hanging out with them, but I still feel a bit of a gap. Now, the Dutchman and I want to have kids at some point - but not for a year or two, so when we met these folks, it was like meeting people who were at our exact place. They're completely funny and we spent the whole night laughing our asses off. I'm just so excited that we might have met people who could become seriously close good friends.

So, that's about it! I've been reading some good articles and thinking about my project even more. I've also been sending my stuff out to people (old profs; people I've met at conferences, etc.) and asking them to give me their feedback if they had a chance. Some of them might never reply, but I feel like I'm never going to get fresh eyes and a fresh perspective unless I ask! This was a big step for me because I've never really had a huge community of scholars around reading my work. My advisors and close friends have read it, but not many others. So, my efforts at expansion of my intellectual community were nerve-wracking, but it felt good. I'm meeting someone for coffee this week to talk about my article and larger project. It's nice to talk to someone who's not an advisor (i.e., not someone whose advice I would have to deferentially incorporate into my work because it's not really a suggestion, it's a thinly veiled mandate) - someone who I can just shoot the "medieval shite" with, so to speak.

All of these random reflections add up to one thing for me right now: I truly love it here. Really, I do. And I hope that there's some chance that I can stay here and we can start laying down some permanent roots. But no more root canals....

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Blogger Hilaire said...

That all sounds great! I'm glad things are going so well. Your writing reverberates with intellectual energy today. And congrats on finding the new friends!

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Laustic said...

Glad you are back among the toothy. Toothful?

Oh! And we did make the zucchini casserole recipe you posted -- delicious! Mr. Laustic picked up fancy extra-sharp cheddar which gave the dish a fondue flair. And since the mother of all zucchinis arose from our garden yesterday, I'm sure we'll make it again soon.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Hey Laustic - I'm so glad you guys liked the casserole! I think the nutmeg makes it really special...

And Hilaire, thanks for observing that my writing reveberates with intellectual energy! That's such a nice thing to read. At this point, I have lots of energy because I just went and took a killer 3 hour nap - one of those where you go into a lovely warm coma.....happiness....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home