Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Self-Indulgent Googling

So, I just spent a chunk of my life that I'll never get back Googling everyone I know, including myself. I'm not sure why I woke up with the "Google-bug" in my proverbial bonnet today, but I thought I'd have a look-see.

My ex-boyfriend still hasn't finished his Ph.D. (she smiles and rubs her hands together wickedly). But, I'm feeling benevolent today and will simply wish him "all the best" (*even though I have more frickin' baggage from that 3 years than any human being can acquire in a lifetime...*) - did I say that out loud?

Anyway, another thing I like to do is keep up with "myself" - that means I'm interested in hits referring to me as well as all of the other "Medieval Womans" out there. It's kind of cool, actually, seeing hits for other people who have the same name - it's like observing little fractured pieces of your identity. For example, I am "Chief Managing Poobah" (or ChiMP) of a hospital down South! I am also a physical therapist in the midwest and some kid who refers to herself as "the most sarcastic person you ever met." (God, I hope she takes that picture off her website soon. It does nothing for her pretty blue eyes to have all that gunk around them - apparently, I'm going through a goth-phase)

Do you notice how I am completely proprietary over a first and last name that, when all is said and done, aren't that uncommon? I mean, I'm no Jane Smith, but I'm also no Bertha-Mae Schnozwhacker. But, it's *me* and all the rest of them are *alternate-me* - I feel a little like they represent other paths in my life. Look, Ma, I coulda been a doctor! Well, I am a doctor, but not that kind of doctor. No, I don't want to see your mole.....I really don't think I'm qualified...please put it away.....

I feel very protective of them - I hope they're all doing well (*better than my ex*) and that they have fulfilling lives and careers. If anyone was ever mean to "ChiMP-me" or even to "Sarcastic-kid me," I would step on their toes and give them my best evil-eye and put a big "Kick Me" sign on their back. So there.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Flavia said...

Hee. Can I admit here that I Google myself quite frequently? (My excuse has been starting first one job and then another, and having some stuff come out in print--I'm anxious to see when that stuff is evident to the world!)

There is, apparently, only one other person out there with my name (or at least only one other person with a Google presence), and she's a high schooler in New Jersey. I'm sure there are others in the younger set, though: I have a first name that is still unusual, but now somewhat trendy, and a last name that's not uncommon within its ethnic group.

For some reason, it gives me pleasure to know that all those young whippersnappers will be, someday, irritated to find that I crowd them out in their own Google searches!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

I know what you mean! They probably Google themselves/me and say, "Medieval what? How boring! And her stupid conferences and CFPs are everywhere!" Hee, hee - I work just like the Borg. Resistance is futile...

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Tiruncula said...

I admit to googling myself periodically, too. I haven't found anybody with the same name and don't expect to. (Neither first nor last name is unique in itself, but the combination seems to be.) Mostly I just want to check that nothing embarrassing comes up in the first page or two of hits. In recent checks, I've impressed that the first couple of pages give a remarkably complete and accurate snapshot of me: you'd immediately discover who my father and grandfather were (obits), where I went to college, what listserv I own, a few recent publications, and a non-embarrassing listserv post. There's one semi-embarrassing listserv post that you'll find if you dig in a page or two.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous What Now? said...

My "other me" Google folks are a real estate agent and a marathon runner, neither of whom I have to confess to having much fellow feeling for. But they probably feel the same way about boring old me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home