Friday, October 13, 2006

Birthday Recipe Blog

Today is my birthday!! We've been having a great morning and are planning a nice dinner tonight with the Dutchman and Medieval Pop - in honor of today, I'm giving you a very special recipe - with a bit of a story behind it.

When I was in University, sometimes I would go home for my birthday and my mom would always make me this bread for my birthday morning - she'd also make an extra loaf and send it back on the plane with me. Now, this stuff smells so good (and I'd be picking at it en route) and the whole plane would start to smell like fresh zucchini bread - people in the back would start craving it and asking what they were serving. Because I was a greedy young adult (still am where this is concerned) - I didn't share it!

Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (maybe a bit more)
- a couple of shakes of ground cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini (roughly one large-ish zucchini)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel (on the tiniest side of the cheese grater)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup raisins

1) In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cloves, and baking powder. Set aside.
2) In another mixing bowl, beat together (with a fork is fine) sugar, shredded zucchini, and egg. Add oil and lemon peel - mix well.
3) Stir flour into the zucchini mixture.
4) Gently fold in chopped nuts and raisins.
5) Turn batter into a well-greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pan.
6) Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Under cook this rather than over cook it - if the pick is still a little wet, it's okay - it will still cook a bit in the pan once you take it out.
7) Cool pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool thoroughly on a rack.

Makes 1 loaf!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Flavia said...

Happy birthday, MW! And what a beautiful time of year to have, it too. (Mine's in February, which is, er, not so nice.)

I hope the rest of the day is just as good.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Hey, happy birthday!! My mom makes killer zucchini bread, too. :)

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous What Now? said...

Happy birthday, and this sounds like a great recipe.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Tiruncula said...

Happy birthday to you!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger HeoCwaeth said...

Happy Birthday! (I'd comment on the recipe, but I'm a lousy cook.)

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Dr. Virago said...

Happy birthday (a day late)!

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous morganlf said...

happy birfday!

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger KLee said...

Happy Birthday, fellow Libra! (Mine is Oct. 15th!:)

I hope you had a great birthday, and that a good time was had by all!

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Laustic said...

Happy belated birthday, MW!

(I wouldn't have given up the bread either. There's something about sharing food that makes me uncomfortable.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home