Saturday, October 21, 2006

The First Year Is the Easiest...

[*WARNING: Sentimental Post Follows*]

Today is the Dutchman's and my first wedding anniversary! It's already been a fantastic day - it reminds me of how totally in love we still are even after one year of marriage and five years together. He's the best decision I've ever made.

I got him a dozen roses (it's not only the woman who gets the flowers, of course!) and a card. I also gave him the watch that my grandmother gave my gradfather on their second wedding anniversary back in 1943. I had it cleaned and restored as much as possible and put a nice new watchband on it - it still has some tiny spots on the face and it looks like an antique, but it's very special and still runs like a charm. On the back, the inscription reads "To Bob, From Lucille, 7-3-43" - my uncle was only a few months old then and my mom wasn't even born. My grandfather wore the watch until the day he died, only 6 months after my grandmother - this was so hard on my mom and uncle to lose their parents so close together but I don't think gramps could live without her. He used to call her "my bride" even after 40 years of marriage...

So, these are the things I'm thinking about today. The Dutchman and I had decadent scones for breakfast (our favorite) and the house is filled with the pieces of fern that one of the cats has lifted from the arrangement of roses and dragged across the floor to play with it (we call them flowers; they call them the salad bar). Tonight we're going out to a fancy-shmancy dinner and have our "year in review", which is what we always do on our anniversaries - talk over the changes, what's stayed the same, where we've been and where we're going. And be even more sappily in love than we've ever been. I don't know if this is the product of a first anniversary (already a milestone) or if it will always be like this - if it's not, that's okay - as long as we keep celebrating anniversaries, I'll be happy!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Many congratulations!! I think appreciation is the key to any good marriage. I'm so happy for both of you. [raises glass to many years more]

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Hilaire said...

Huge, hearty congratulations to you! It sounds as if the two of you have built a wonderful relationship...enjoy your day - and your lovely meal!

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger KLee said...

Congrats! You're still in that "newlywed" phase!

I hope you have a great anniversary, and with the promise of many, many more.

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous What Now? said...

Happy anniversary! I love the story about the watch; what a wonderful gift.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

Congratulations! It's really wonderful to read about people with a relationship that's working so well. I know that kind of dynamic takes hard work as well as chemistry, so props to both of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home