Friday, October 20, 2006

Friday Recipe Blogging

Yet another Friday has come and hit me in the head like a boomerang (*thunk!*) - time to post another recipe!

Like so many of these - this one has a story behind it. I had to go all the way down in the sub-basement of my recipe files to snag this baby because it was the first recipe I ever learned to make when I was 9. Back many moons ago when I was just "Medieval Girl" (I didn't even have my huge bangs then - I was so pure and untainted by the teasing comb and the can of Aqua Net), I spent summers with my friend Erin - my mom had to work, so I would go over there during the days and her mom would keep us busy for the summer (this included Vacation Bible School - *groan* - but it also included kids cooking classes at the local college!). So, Erin's mom made us little aprons with our names on them* and off we went (I'll say nothing about the gendered division of labor that was being instilled here...) - but it was fun. I would make stuff for my mom when she got home from work and this was the best one of them all. It's so simple and - dare I say it? - a little trashy. It ain't fancy haute cuisine, but it eats pretty good.

Meat and Cheese Cups (even the name sounds trashy, eh? Love it.)
- One can of buttermilk biscuits (I prefer just the regular Pillsbury ones, but not the Grands because they get to doughy)
- 1 lb. of ground beef
- BBQ sauce
- Ketchup
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Lots of grated chedder cheese

1) Open the annoying pressure sealed can of biscuits (the Dutchman and I still have to play rock-paper-scissors to see who will open this little cylinder of death. The anticipation of the *pop!* actually scares me!)
2) Flatten the individual biscuits (which are those cute little disks) into little pancakes and place each one in a muffin tin (this makes the "cup" portion of our meal - just make sure that the sides come up enough to hold the filling). There's no need to use paper muffin cups or grease the muffin tin or anything - the biscuits are non-stick and will pop right out when done.
3) Brown the ground beef and drain. Turn to low heat.
4) Stir around 3/4 of a cup of ketchup into the meat and about 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce (basically, you're going for the consistency of a sloppy joe - I add more ketchup than BBQ sauce because I like it a bit more tangy than sweet. But the combination is great.)
5) Add onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper to taste.
6) Heat it through.
* Seriously, this conconction is done when you say it's done - add less or more of whatever you like - you can always add a little bit more of any ingredient as you go. Just make sure that the meat mixture isn't too liquidy!
7) Pile the meat mixture into the biscuit cups (should be a teensy bit over filled but not too much).
8) Top each cup with grated cheddar and stick 'em in the oven.
9) Bake the cups for however long and at whatever temp the biscuit package says to do it. (375 for 10-13 minutes?)

These are so good - we eat them with a salad and they're great stuffed into the fridge and nuked the next day for lunch. Early in our relationship, the Dutchman asked me what "Okie" cooking was like and I made him these. I think this might have been one of the reasons he wanted to get married :)

*I still have mine along with one the Dutchman got me that says "Goose the Cook."

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, Blogger KLee said...

This sounds really good, but I'll have to play with is since my family does not care for barbeque sauce. Do you think a cheese sauce would work? We may not like barbeque, but we LOVE cheese! :)

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Hi KLee - I think you could use a cheese sauce - maybe like a queso sauce? Then you could make them like Mexican meat and cheese cups and serve them with sour cream, etc.?!

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous What Now? said...

Are you an Okie?! I come from an Okie family (although I only lived in the state for a couple of years when I was a kid), and there are certain Okie recipes that mean "family" to me. My mom has experimented with gentrifying some of these recipes, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Hey What Now! I am indeed an Okie - born and bred. Grew up in "The City" and moved to suburban sprawl north of The City for highschool. My mom still lives there, but wants to leave to move somewhere much more liberal (it's tough there!) - but I do love many things about that state. Taco Bueno, for one!

Thanks for stopping by!

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous morganlf said...

Ahhhh Okie cooking, I know it well. K. just realized what Chicken Fried Steak was.... "wait...you fry it and *then* put gravy on it???"

Yes. Put gravy on anything that moves, my dear.

I think it's cold enough to make chicken and dumplings! mmmmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home