Sunday, October 29, 2006

Random Weekend Fluff

...actually, this whole blog has been a bit fluffy lately! Everytime I think that I need to post something of academic substance, my brain shuts down as a means of self-defense. All I can say is that applications are progressing (i.e., they're being shipped off) and that my classes for next semester are fairly complete. But what I've taken the most pleasure in lately is reading other people's posts about life, blogging, academia, etc. So, I've been observing rather than posting...but in the meantime:

1) We went to a Halloween party last night - we were the only ones dressed up (*sigh*). I was a medieval knight (complete with shiny "chain mail" fabric and a tunic!) and the Dutchman was a cow. He even had udders. It was cute except there were kids there who kept wanting to "milk" him! Awkward...very awkward...

2) The little girl who lives next door was at the party as well and we apparently inspired her to start wearing her halloween costume early. She ran around the yard all day today dressed in the cutest giraffe get-up and when she saw me heading out to the car she said, "Hey Medieval Woman, 'knight' to see you!" She's 6 and she's already making cheesy puns. Very impressive.

3) I've been getting wonderful feedback on my women and the body syllabus (some of you had asked to see it - please remind me if I forgot to send it to you!) - especially from Hilaire, who is wonderfully cool and the most generous person with her time and amazing intellectual prowess - thank you! It makes me feel like all the work has been very worthwhile.

[progressing to the even more randomly fluffy...]

4) What is this Blogger Beta thing? Should I do this?

5) I discovered a grey hair today. My roots have grown out a bit (don't tell!) and I was gauging whether or not I could go for another month or so before re-doing my highlights and - *BANG!* - there it was. The cheeky little bastard is right in front! I don't know whether to be proud or horrified, so I was just kind of stunned. I'm usually mistaken for being much younger than I am (like, when I try to buy booze or, a couple of years ago, when I was purchasing a copy of the classic and very R-rated The Silence of the Lambs) and so I don't really know how to react. I'll just highlight the damn thing and pretend it didn't happen until it invites a few friends over. But I've always wanted "salt and pepper" hair. I've highlighted my hair because it's really just pepper with no salt. Now I may have natural salt coming and that would save me $85 bucks or so...this meditation has gone on for far too long!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Hilaire said...

I've heard quite a few complaints about blogger beta - I'm staying away from it, myself. People talk about it as being a major hassle.

Good for you for making the effort to dress up for Halloween!!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Okay, cool - I'll stay away from it. Thanx!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home