Monday, October 09, 2006

Turkey Day?

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canuks and recent replants out there! It's Thanksgiving Day in Canada and in the U.S. it's Columbus Day - basically, that means that there's no mail service anywhere on the North American continent. This is kind of nice because it means that I don't have to worry about sending out any applications - a true day of rest...

And it's gorgeous here - it's warm but with a little crisp in the air - the sun is shining and the leaves are changing. The Dutchman and I took a long walk through our huge neighborhood and looked at houses we wished we could afford; made plans for our future (whatever it may be - we're the kings of contingencies at this point!); talked about having babies. It was lovely. As I sit here I can hear the farmer out back in his garden singing in Greek as he places ripe zucchinis over the back fence onto our chairs for us (this puts me in mind of a recipe for next Friday!).

I think I might plant myself out back with a beer and read The Lord of the Rings - I'm getting a jump start on next semester's teaching. It's just too nice a day to worry about the job market...

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger muse said...

I thought Canadian Thanksgiving was last Thursday-- Oct. 5. At least that was when my Canadian pals celebrated it.

If only we had Columbus day outside of New England in the US. I could have used a break!

Nice blog, btw.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Thanks Muse and welcome to the blog! The CA t-giving is slated for today on the calendars and big dinners are being prepared (if we weren't such newbies, we'd have bought a bird and cooked the sucker) - maybe it's usually the 5th and they're just *celebrating* it today for the Monday off thing?

My mom in the mid-west US doesn't have today off either, which is crummy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home