Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Ob la di, ob la da...

*sigh*

I had such a good night's sleep last night (with enough chocolate in my system to drug a small wildebeest) - a full 9 hours! Lovely...

I've decided to de-rail my research plans for a while and work on something else: an article I've had in mind for some time and have only started doing the most preliminary research on so far. Ostensibly, I had planned to be working on my book project, but I can't get into such a massive thing right now - my mind is being drawn in several different directions (most significantly the job market) and I'm not really able to find the intellectual and emotional space to dedicate to the larger project right now. I have a great start on it and I'm excited about it, but I'm just not able to sit down at the table and start in on the main course yet - I need something to nibble on as I run around like a maniac obsessing about other things. And that's where this article fits in! It's totally separate from (though tangential to) my book project and it will be a nice change of pace.

I remember Flavia blogging about something similar to this not too long ago - she'd said that she was trying to work on her book project, but couldn't get into it and she ended up writing another article she'd put on the back burner for a while. Afterward, she felt like tackling her big project again - this sounds great to me. So, I'm taking this route and hoping that I can enter my book project again when things have calmed down in terms of my *future plans*, etc. a bit more - maybe I can get in through the bathroom window if not the front door!

So, I'm off to the library to do something other than copy for classes for once (although I still have a bit more of that to do...maybe I should bring it along...). Wish me luck!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Hilaire said...

I think that sounds like a really smart idea...very realistic. Also, an article might be finishable before your teaching starts, and if that were the case, I imagine you'd feel satisfied that you had something important out there before having to hunker down into the land-of-not-being-able-to-write-very-much...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home