Thursday, December 07, 2006

Perspective

After the pretty self-indulgent pity post I blogged earlier today, I think what I observed tonight has given me a lot of perspective. I don't think that my feelings are invalid or anything, but just that I stepped out of my own issues for a time this evening and it really struck me.

It's been snowing all day here and things are totally beautiful. The Dutchman and I were coming home from the grocery store this evening and lugging bags of food through the drifts - the snow made even that activity quite fun for us. As we were unloading, I looked up and saw into our neighbors' picture window. It looks into their dining room and the lights were all on and there were a few people walking around. These are our next door neighbors as well as our landlords - the parents of the "little girl next door". All of a sudden, I saw a man walk slowly past the window - his entire head was shaved except a small patch of salt and pepper hair on the back of his head and he had a huge, angry-looking scar over his right temple. He looked out and saw us, smiled and waved "hi". The man looked almost exactly like our neighbor and I didn't understand for a second; then I realized that our neighbor's brother and their entire family had been in town because his brother had been very ill and was having surgery on Monday. Well, apparently it was brain surgery. But here he was walking around with his family; moving slowly, but still putting around on his own steam and taking time to wave at the neighbors he's never met with a big smile on his face.

I've always cringed a bit at cliches, especially ones like: "Well, at least you have your health!" But, shit, I do. Things could be so much worse and have been for lots of people. I have plenty of food and heat and a Dutchman to snuggle up with at night (better than a teddy bear). I just kind of realized that, in the larger scheme of things, I'm fine and I'm going to be completely all right. This doesn't mean I won't moan about the market once in a while. But looking at a man who's walking around and holding his 2-year-old a mere three days after brain surgery sure gives a welcome jolt back to reality!

Thanks to all my bloggy friends who gave me a "chin-up" this afternoon, both on and off blog!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger Bardiac said...

Perspective helps, doesn't it?

The job market is just nasty for most everyone. VERY few people have a good experience, even the ones who get dream jobs.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

yep - it's bad all around!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home