Saturday, December 16, 2006

Tardy Recipe Blogging...

...but I do have a hall pass! I'm sorry to be late on this recipe blogging - I just have not been in a bloggy mood this week - I haven't been reading or blogging at all really. I feel wholly unprepared for both the job market interviews and my conference paper, but I'm thinking that I'll deal with whatever comes down the pike when it does. I'm very happy with the job market opportunities I have so far and I've been researching the schools, etc., which is fun.

On a lighter note, the Dutchman and I are getting our Christmas tree today! And early next week, I'm SO looking forward to having a lovely and festive blogger meet-up with Hilaire!

A friend of mine has been going to a lot of white elephant parties this holiday season and it got me to thinking about traditional holiday food that usually sucks and that always seems to get made and never consumed. For me, the big culprit is egg-nog - I hate that stuff, even when it's laced with rum. But another traditional non-favorite is fruitcake, right? Everyone's heard the urban holiday legend about the fruitcake that someone's great-great aunt made in 1943 that is still circulating throughout the family generations later because it just won't go bad but no one will eat it! It's like a little yuletide brick wrapped in cellophane...

However, I do have a recipe for fruitcake that's pretty darned good! At least, it never lasted long in our house...

Mexican Fruitcake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (20 oz.) can of crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped nuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients and bake in a greased and floured 9" x 13" pan for 30-45 minutes (it's usually closer to 35 minutes).
3. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Frosting:
- 1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsps. milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Whip all ingredients together and use it to frost the baked cake.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger What Now? said...

I think the key to your fruitcake recipe is that it does NOT contain those little candied fruits. Really, I think that's what everyone dislikes so much.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger medieval woman said...

I think you're right, WN - those little candied thingys also push the shelf life of the cake up to, say, 134 years! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home