Saturday, January 20, 2007

Dear Blogosphere...

A big, hearty THANK YOU!!! for all of your good wishes and finger-crossing! It really meant a lot to me to read your comments - I had moments during the trip where I was convinced I had totally bungled the whole thing - did any of you ever feel like that?? It was nice to read cheerful comments. But overall, I think that the trip went very well (although right in the middle of my talk I started to think, "this is really boring - why am I giving this talk??") - a couple of the search committee members told me that I'd made a very good impression and that the visit had gone very well, so I hope that's good news. I'm so fried at this point that I'm not sure what day it is or even who I am anymore. But I'm home and heading for a nap.

I did like the department a lot - everyone lives near campus and they all seem to really like each other and like the school - it doesn't seem to be the kind of place that's in permanent transition because people are always looking for "better" jobs. They have a brand new building; the teaching load is great and it's ALL medieval courses; their research expectations are comfortably high (i.e., they're at a level where I think I would really thrive there). And I really liked the students! They were very chatty in class and I thought they were really enthusiastic - I also met some grad students who were really nice. One of the profs drove me around the town today to look at neighborhoods and she had a list of house prices. It was very nice. I had two lovely dinners with different groups of colleagues and we stayed for several hours each night. Lots of laughing - I really felt comfortable. The best thing is that they're hiring for several positions this year AND a bunch more next year - so there would be all kinds of new energy and friend material!

They will be meeting a week from this Monday to make their decisions about this hire (apparently their other candidate is coming out next week) so I should hear sometime between 1/29-1/31. Ugh! I'm simultaneously excited and terrified.

At any rate, I so want this job, but the Dutchman and I are strained a bit. I think we're going to try to put a moritorium on speculation and "what ifs" for a week. It's just too hard to think about before we know for sure. It will be hard enough to think about it then.

At any rate, now that I'm back in the land of the living - I will visit blogs and catch up on everyone's lives tomorrow! Until then thanks again and I'll keep you posted!!

P.S. Apparently I didn't get a campus visit to recent phone interview school - c'est la vie! :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! I know how hard it is to wait to hear word, but at least you're already done with everything that's under your control.

Still, fingers will remain crossed.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous morgan said...

I'm hoping that everything works out in your favor, m'dear!

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

Crossing fingers and toes now!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Earnest English said...

I'm so glad it went so well and that the job is something you can see yourself doing! YAY! I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Since waiting is SO hard, maybe you and the Dutchman could do some lovely things for yourselves in the upcoming ten days. Not knowing is very hard on everyone. Perhaps catch up on your movie watching? Or do something lovely that you like to do together?

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Dr. Virago said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Medieval Woman! And sorry I haven't been on top of posts enough to say anything before now.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Thanks Dr. V! And to you all - hopefully the collective finger crossing will tip the scales!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home