Friday, January 26, 2007

Friday Recipe Blogging: S.O.S.

What to blog....what to blog....

Could it be that I've run out of recipes? Seriously, is my culinary portfolio that limited? It actually seems to be considering that I've been so stressed about teaching and the market that I end up eating more McDonald's than a human being really should.

I'm also afraid that I will begin to recycle recipes. I can't quite remember what I've posted when!

So, I'm putting out an all points bulletin and asking for some suggestions of any recipes anyone wants - a chicken recipe? A dessert? A yummy dip? (I love dips!).

Until then (or until I feel more gastronomically inspired), I'm going to leave you with a strange combination of two recipes that don't go together (unless you make them at the same time, and then they do!).

This first one might leave most of you saying, "Gag me with a smurf, Medieval Woman!" But it's a recipe that I remember fondly from childhood. It was usually fixed when my mom didn't want to toil over something or when my dad was cooking. When Mom cooked it, it was called "Cream Chipped Beef on Toast", when my Dad cooked it, it was called "Shit on a Shingle." I prefer the second title:

Shit on a Shingle
- 2 glass jars of dried beef (do they still make these anymore? I think it was by Carl Buddig)
- 2 tbsps butter
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tbps. flour
- Black pepper and/or cayenne

1. Put butter and 1 1/2 cups milk in a small pan.
2. When hot, add the beef, shredded. Cook 3 minutes.
3. Rub the flour smooth in 1/2 cup milk. Add some pepper and stir into the beef mixture.
4. As soon as it thickens, lower the fire and sommer on very low heat for 3-5 minutes.
5. Serve with toasted wheat bread (it was Roman Meal when I was a kid!).

The next recipe I put in here because I've been feeling a lot like a drink lately. Actually, I've been feeling like 8 or 9 drinks lately. I might as well mix things up a bit.

And this is, perhaps, a tidbit you didn't know about me: I am a licensed bartender. I actually went to bartending school and now I have a documented skill. I have bartended at many different places over the years: a Harley bar, a sports bar, an off-track betting place (got a $300 tip once), an upscale strip club for a while (and yes, you evil people! I was fully clothed! Actually, I had to wear a tuxedo shirt and a cute bow tie and cummerbund). I actually met some very interesting people...I used to get my nails done very long and bright red because people were always watching me make drinks - it's about the showmanship!!

But I digress, since alcohol is an official food group, I can also provide drink recipes for Friday Recipe Blogging - I make one helluva homemade bloody mary!

Here's one I've always liked:

Pomegranate Margaritas
- 48 oz. pomegranate juice (2 of the tall bottles of "Pom" in the produce section of the store - get pure pom juice, not the one mixed with blueberries!)
- 2/3 liter WHITE tequila (Cuervo makes a decent one - stay away from Gold because it gives it a funny aftertaste)
- 2/3 of a 500ml bottle of Triple Sec (there's some wiggle room here - if you like to taste the triple sec, then use this amount, if you just want a hint of it, then stick to a strong splash)
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (takes about 5-6 decent-sized limes - it's worth it to have the fresh lime juice!)

1. Mix ingredients together in a pitcher and serve with ice; or blend it with crushed ice.
2. Garnish with a cucumber slice.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Hilaire said...

This makes me want to have a pomegranate margarita party - yummers!

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous What Now? said...

Ooh, fun facts about Medieval Woman! D. loves pomegranate margaritas, but she's never used a cucumber slice for garnish, so I've just passed on that tip.

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Carine said...

O the secret lives of mediaevalists...! Care to share your Bloody Mary-recipe?

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Hi Carine - so *you're* the digital footprint from the Dutchman's home court I've noticed!! (that sounded stilted - I was trying to be circumspect!) Yes, I would be happy to post the Bloody Mary recipe - as soon as I dig it out - remind me!

Thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home