Friday, January 05, 2007

Friday Recipe Blogging

Ugh. Well, I had a thousand little things to do today and I basically got none of them done. I did get cat food, though, which means I won't be strangled by a kitty string in the middle of the night. There were just lots of roadblocks today - I got to one place too late to do one thing (and the woman won't be back until Monday), I was going to copy a syllabus for my Monday morning class, but the Dept. coordinator said I needed to put a couple of standard blurbs on it. But she hasn't sent them to me yet! Argh!

Anyway, I'm in a nibbly mood (as I usually am when the Dutchman is out of town and I don't feel like cooking a real meal), so today is an appetizer recipe. For those of you who know Friday Recipe Blogging well, you know my penchant for dips. I love dips (but hate hummus, go figure...). This is not a dip, but is a fantastic appetizer.

Hot and Spicy Shrimp Salad
- 1/2 to 3/4 lb. small cooked cocktail-sized shrimp (I like the frozen better than the canned kind; if frozen, thaw them under water)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons (press them on the counter and roll them with your hand a bit before cutting; makes the juicing easier!)
- the vinegar ONLY from 1 jar of jalapeno peppers
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 small jar of green olives, diced
- 3 tbsps. fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bunch of cilantro, washed, dried, and diced
- salt to taste
- 5 fresh green serrano chiles, diced (handle with rubber gloves only!)
- 1 or 2 avocados, diced (optional, but I always put them in)

1. Marinate the shrimp in oil, lemon, vinegar and onion for 2 hours
2. Add tomatoes, olives, spices, and everything else EXCEPT avocados.
3. Fold together gently and let sit 2 additional hours.
4. Finally, add avocados before serving; mix everything together well.

This is really good on crostini - cut up a baguette to medallions of about 3/4 inch thickness. Toast them in the over for 5 minutes or so. When you take them out, rub a sliced garlic clove on the crostini and top with shrimp salad.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Anonymous crizette said...

Thanks for the recipe and nice kittens you have here. You said this is a fantastic appetizer. Lemme try it myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home