Sunday, February 04, 2007

Belated Recipe Blogging - The Booze Edition


Anything to avoid preparing for my two classes tomorrow. I'm going to be up SO late tonight (again)! I look forward to teaching Chaucer in the fall - I already have the entire class - including paper assignments and lectures, etc. all ready to go.

Given that this past week hasn't been very cooking-oriented (it's been more of a take-out pizza kind of week), I feel a little sheepish posting a recipe (cooking? what's cooking?). But, this is my recipe for a homemade bloody mary that will knock your socks off! Should be consumed on a weekend morning, preferably after a night of debauchery and served with omlettes, waffles, etc. (This one's for Carine - "groetjes!")

Medieval Woman's Bitchin' Bloody Mary
* In a cocktail shaker with a few cubes of ice, combine the following:
- 1 1/2 oz. of vodka (I prefer Absolut to Stoli - Absolut Peppar is nice with this!)
- healthy splashes of lemon and lime juice
- splash of Worcestershire sauce (don't be shy!)
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- half a teaspoonful (to taste) of prepared horseradish (SO important)
- healthy shakes of salt and black pepper
- add a bit of granulated garlic and celery salt (trust me...)
- fill the shaker with tomato juice, V8, or (for a "Bloody Caesar") Clamato juice.

1. Shake contents well and strain over ice in a highball glass or tumbler.
2. Garnish with the traditional celery stalk or, if you are like me and think that celery is the anti-christ, a cucumber slice and lemon wedge.

Now, it is impossible to mess this up and you can add more or less of any ingredient. But, in my experience, the thing that really kicks this up a notch is the horseradish, tobasco, and the spices (salt, pepper, celery salt and garlic). That and decent vodka...I even once added a little bit of wasabi rather than horseradish to one for a customer - it wasn't that bad!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger Another Damned Medievalist said...

May I suggest a shot of beef consomme?

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

I think that's a great idea - sounds yummy to me! I always left it out because I wasn't sure if the customer was a vegetarian...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home