Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Blog of Substance?

I am halfway through my Spring Break and, I have to say, I'm not making as much headway as I'd like (although I did watch Gone with the Wind in its entirety). I still need to grade midterms and I've been wanting to finish this book review, but I've still got 6 chapters to go.

This is a question for all of those out there who have written book reviews: off the record (our names aren't on this, so it's okay) - does everyone read the entire book for a book review? I know that this is what a book review should be, but I'm just wondering about the actual practice of book review writing. I'm not trying to cut corners, but I might reach the point where I might have to shave a couple of centimeters off a corner or two. Any pointers on writing book reviews would be greatly appreciated!

In other news, we have finally settled on the house we're renting in Italy - it's about a half an hour outside of Florence and near the lovely 13th-century town of Montecarlo (not the more famous one). We're still debating whether to take our second week in the lake country (around Milan) OR maybe go to Venice and the Adriatic coast - any suggestions either way?

Here are some slightly blurry pictures of the place outside of Florence:

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger jb said...

Well, I have no advice about Italy (I've only been to Rome and a little town on the east coast) OR book reviews (I'm writing my first right now, as you know (and thanks, by the way!)), but the pictures look lovely and Gone with the Wind is surprisingly amazing, isn't it?

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Another Damned Medievalist said...

Well, I normally read the whole book, although the last review I wrote while I read the book -- I typed in all my notes and ideas while reading. I have a review due tomorrow. I've read about half the book, and that was over Christmas...
And my next review? Ginormous book. Not sure I'll read every page.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Hilaire said...

The awesomeness of the house you're renting in Italy!! Slays me!! Yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home