Thursday, February 08, 2007

I've Been on Safari...

Not really. But I do wear my pith helmet with the little battery powered fan in the forehead around the house sometimes when I'm bored.

I've actually just been in a state somewhere between hiding and hibernation - I'm trying to recouperate after the market and the attendant glee at getting a job and emotional issues involving the Dutchman. I'm also barely treading water on teaching - I just got the first set of papers in from one of my classes (nope, haven't started grading yet!) and I'll be giving midterms the week after next.

So, I've been out of the blogging and blog-reading mood for a while - I hope everyone is doing well - I will stop by Chez Bloggez Ya'll and see what's afoot.

I've been thinking a lot about the new changes happening in my life - I've also been thinking about all the new furniture and appliances I'm going to have to buy when the Dutchman and I split households this year. I'm leaving most of the stuff here because it would be more expensive for us to move it all far away and then still have to buy duplicates of everything! Part of this makes me happy, though - Hilaire, I finally get to buy that new couch we looked at! There's a store in the state I'm moving to - woo hoo!

But aside from these practical changes (which bring both joy at the thought of "new stuff" and stress at the thought of "affording new stuff"), I've also been just feeling highly satisfied and happy about my new job. I'm getting emails from my new colleagues welcoming me to the department and offering any advice on the area, etc. they can give. I'm thinking about which picture I want to put on my little faculty blurb page. But that's one of the things I'm so excited about - I will have a faculty blurb page! I will have 3 nice big, brand new wooden bookcases in my office (which is in a new building). I will have a permanent name plate on my door rather than a printed out sign with 7 other names on it because I have to share my office with so many people. I will be invited to department meetings! I know these things seem like the trinkets or the most surface things that go along with a job. I'm also happy that I will be contributing to my pension plan and that I will have multi-year employment. But strangely it's these little bitty things that are bringing me the most immediate joy.

Being in adjunct or visiting positions for several years, I'm just happy that they're actually making official space for me in my the department, on the website, in their minds. I'm happy that I'm not just a warm body teaching some courses, but that I'll actually be part of something. I was told at all the unis I've adjuncted at that I couldn't go to department meetings because I would be asked to leave anytime they had a vote about something and they didn't want me to feel bad. I understood that I couldn't be there for votes, but being told that didn't make me feel so hot either. It's just the way of the adjuncting world. I don't feel bad that I was a part of it and I think it was really good for me in a lot of ways (I played up my wide variety of teaching experience at various kinds of universities in my applications this year) - but I'm so glad that I finally get to be a full-time tenure track faculty member! The Dutchman has said before that it feels good and it does. I'm not sure if it feels even better because it took me three tries to get here - and it could have easily taken much more!

So, these are the things occupying my mind these days. Nothing major, just happy reflection and trying to keep my toes warm in the deep freeze zone we live in at the moment. I'm sure that the blogging mood will strike me again and that I'll finally feel the pressure to start grading.

But for now I need to look at the Target website for table lamps....

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger Bardiac said...

That's so great that you're getting the emails. When I got my first job, I got a welcoming email from a colleague, offering to help me find a place to live, and ever so graciously asking if I were bringing a partner now that it was okay to ask.

Congrats again on your job.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Dr. Virago said...

Oh, do I know how you feel! Isn't it awesome?! Yay!

But now I'm jealous. We don't have name plates. Hmph. (OK, it's really not that big of deal. I'm just kidding around.)

Now you need to be a uni sweatshirt or a local team shirt or something. Seriously, my colleagues sent me a comfy long-sleeve shirt with the local minor league baseball team logo on it, along with a note that said, "*Now* it's official." (How cute is that?!) I swear to god I wore that t-shirt every opportunity I got before leaving Grad School City, and I think it helped the already exciting transition be even more exciting and easy.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Dr. Virago said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Dr. Virago said...

Argh, "Now you need to *buy* a uni sweatshirt..." not *be* one!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Hey, that's such a sweet thing your colleagues did, Flavia! We actually have good team colors, too, so I will enjoy wearing a school shirt of some sort. I'm sure my parents will want one, too. :)

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger jb said...

Hey--I recently met someone who did her undergrad studies in your New Institution, in the English dept, about 10 years ago. She loved the school, and grew up in the town, which she also really liked. Not that you need to be sold on the school, or anything, but I just thought I'd pass along the testimonial!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Ugh! Dr. Virago - I just realized that I wrote "Flavia" in my comment about your comment! Sorry about that!!!

Brain...all...mixed...up...

And jb, thanks for passing that along! I've heard good things from outside sources, which makes me feel even better about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home