Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Negotiating Pit

Thanks to everyone for their fantastic advice!

Just a quick update from the trenches: it was easy. Seriously, I just asked for the extra money (which would put me at the top of the salary range for an Asst. Prof.) and I got an email back within an hour saying, "yep!" I probably could have asked for a little extra money here and there (for books, travel, etc.), but they were already very generous with that and I was happier to get a salary increase (which will pay off more over time) than to get a little bit extra in start-up funds. Dr. Virago - that's a fantastic idea to arrange to have my reduced teaching load a few years from now - I didn't ask for it in my first email, but I might when I touch base with them again next week.

I haven't yet accepted this position because we've just thrown a "Hail Mary" pass at Dutchman U. Basically I just asked the Dean if they would request that a tenure track spousal position be opened for me. This will of course get resoundingly rejected, but in the spirit of "no stone left unturned," I felt like I didn't have anything to lose.

So, the plot seems to thicken, but it doesn't really. I have a lovely, slightly negotiated offer from a great uni and I will be a 3-hour plane ride away from the Dutchman. He will try to get a position at the same uni or nearby next year. If not, we'll go out on the market together the next year after that. It's not perfect, but we'll manage.

Thanks again for all the input and the messages of congratulations! We're going out tonight to celebrate with a big, fancy-shmancy dinner!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger Tiruncula said...

Good negotiating!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Flavia said...

Now see?? Where would you be if you had taken the advice of your advisor & job placement officer, rather than that of the blogosphere?

Congrats, MW! Have an extra drink for me.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Congrats from me too! Way to do the negotiation - LOVE that they got back to you so fast. This is going to be such a great position (if you take it... the way things are going, maybe Dutchman U. will offer you a nice position too!)

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger jb said...

Hey, that's terrific! I'm so glad it worked out--contratulations, again!

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Bardiac said...

Congrats!!!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Hilaire said...

Woo! That's so great, how easy it was. Yay for you!! I'm *so* pleased.

I hope you've had just a lovely dinner out!

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

Hooray! Such lovely news!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Hee, hee - you're right! I think it's funny that I take my tough questions to the blogosphere. It just helps to hear about other people's recent experiences - not the negotiating (or lack thereof) that you did to get your job 20 years ago!

Still waiting to hear on the Dutchman U Hail Mary pass, but I don't think it will amount to anything. It's a wonder that I haven't gotten a response yet - from Dean or Chair....

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Dr. Virago said...

Yay! Glad to hear the good news! And I'm glad my suggestion was useful, too.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Another Damned Medievalist said...

Woo and Hoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home