Friday, February 23, 2007

Tax-Free Friday Recipe Blogging

I have finally completed our very complicated taxes - last year I had to file for 3 different states; this year, we're having to file in two countries - argh! We still just do the EZ form because it's EZ-er and I don't have the energy to itemize. But, we're getting a fat refund so that's a good thing.

I also have the beginnings of a nasty head cold - my sinuses feel like they're packed in cotton and my head hurts (*oh poor medieval woman*). But, still I perservere and self-medicate on an astounding level - nothing changes here. The sun rises and sets and medieval woman pops a pill for something.

But I digress. In honor of tax season, today I'm posting a really good and really EZ enchilada recipe given to me by my dad's girlfriend - you can make this vegetarian if you want to as well!

Mary's Enchiladas
-
1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can enchilada sauce (you can double the liquids if you want more sauce. If you can't find enchilada sauce at the market, you can use taco sauce - Old El Paso makes a darn good one)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 soup can of milk
- 1 can of green chilies if desired (but it's yummy!)
- grated cheddar cheese
- corn tortillas (however many you want)

1. Brown ground beef and onion in a skillet; drain well.
2. Mix in the enchilada sauce, soup, milk, and chilies.
3. Let this simmer until it's mixed together and the thickness you want.
4. Heat the corn tortillas (either in the microwave or individually on a griddle - make sure you wet them a bit or they'll crack when you roll them up!)
5. Take a 9x13 rectangular pan and cover the bottom with a thin layer of sauce.
6. Roll some grated cheese in each tortilla; place them side by side in the pan - the sauce on the bottom will keep them in place.
7. Sprinkle rolled tortillas with a bit more grated cheese and then cover the tortillas in the sauce.
8. Heat them through in the oven for a few minutes - not too long or they'll get tough on the bottom!
9. Serve with sour cream or whatever you want...


Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Blogger Hilaire said...

Eww...I hope you don't fully get sick for your week off!! Or that it comes and goes really, really fast. Take care!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger jb said...

I hope you feel better, too. (And Spring Break already! You guys must end your semester way early!)

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous What Now? said...

Not to be overly particular -- but did you omit the step in which the meat mixture actually gets put into the tortillas? I ask because I'm one of those folks who need every last step spelled out. I am, after all, the person who had to get tech assistance to play a movie in my classroom; turns out I had ommitted actually putting the videotape in the machine, but in my defense, the careful directions did not actually include that step!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Thanks guys! I had a few beers tonight, so maybe that will kill all the bugaboos.

WN, good question - I actually just fill the enchiladas with cheese and then put the meat mixture/sauce on *top* - I actually "smother" them in the sauce. When you eat them, you get the cheesy filling and all the meat and sauce goop around it. I think the tech assistance story is hilarious! :)

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Jarod said...

Okay, I am now officially hungry. Looks good, MW!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Hi Jarod - thanks for stopping by! And I'm glad that a visit to my site made you hungry...speaking of hunger, I'm off to cook some dinner!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home