Saturday, February 17, 2007

Throughout History...

Oh my. It's paper grading time. I know this because I keep reading the phrase, "Throughout history and extending into today, [insert assertion here; e.g. "women have been oppressed by society"]..."

Why do I leave these until the last minute every single time I get a set of papers to grade? Because I can! No matter how many noble plans I make to grade between 3-5 a day so that I gradually work my way through the stack over the course of a week or so, I never end up doing that! Jesus - it's like having an expensive piece of exercise equipment in the house and only using it to dry your bras on. It just sits there collecting dust, as does the giant stack of papers. I guess the little grading leprechauns aren't going to make them go away either.

I guess the difference is, I can ignore the treadmill indefinitely, but these papers have to be done before Monday or it will be the Reign of Terror all over again...

Off with her head!

**Random addendum (6:58 pm EST) - (*sniff, sniff*)....(*sniff, sniff*) My neighbors are cooking something with....(*sniff, sniff*) BACON in it! Now all I can think about is a BLT with nice crispy bacon and really fresh tomato.....

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Tiruncula said...

This semester, I'm including "Throughout history" statements and related horrors in the rubrics for peer editing sessions and asking students to eliminate such things from each other's papers. Also forbidden is any intimation that Shakespeare is the greatest writer of all time. We'll see how it works.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Ha! This is a good idea - I'm going to just make a handout now for all my classes about just saying "no" to the "Throughout history" opener and also about incorporation of quotes!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Really fresh tomatoes in February? Yeah, that'll happen...

(dammit, now I'm craving a BLT too. thanks!)

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger medieval woman said...

Hee, hee - it's just like that stupid chipmunk song that never leaves your head...the fresh tomatoes are indeed a fantasy right now - but the taste buds know no seasons, alas! I've also been craving potato salad lately - hello, picnic food! I'm obviously wishing for some decent weather...I'll even take the ants...

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger jb said...

I love it when students use the "throughout history" or "since the dawn of time" phrasology to introduce something that's patently not been going on since the dawn of time. Such as, "Since the dawn of time, man has debated the ethics of second-trimester abortion."

(Okay, that's not a real example, but you get the idea.)

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Another Damned Medievalist said...

Did I ask you this? I'm looking for a roommate for K'zoo. Staying at the Radisson, 'cos I don't want to deal with a car.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home